Just the title alone is funny — and maintaining your sanity while traveling with kids sometimes seems impossible! Have no fear, mama birds: There are a few things your can do to make life easier on yourself. Not that I am an old pro at this mama game by any means, but I certainly do spend my fair share of time on an airplane. I like to think I have picked up a thing or two along the way.
Don’t overpack your carry-on bag: If you do, you are doomed before you even leave the house! It’s too much to juggle. Streamline your packing, and stick to the essentials. (I will break down my carry-on items at the end of this post, and I have a fab ultimate packing list on RealGirlsKitchen.com.)
Always pack snacks: Go for high-protein items, and limit the sugar. The last thing you need is a wild child on a sugar high trapped on an airplane! I would, however, pack one special treat as a (gasp!) bribe, in case you get really desperate. I know you have all been there before.
Take the stroller: Just do it! I know it’s a bit more of a hassle going through security, but what happens if your flight is delayed? That stroller is the perfect place for your baby to take a nice long, cozy nap while you wait it out. Keep the travel bag on hand so it stays clean when you gate check it, and make sure it has a tag.
Keep your chargers with you: They don’t do you much good in your checked luggage.
Be prepared: Check in ahead of time and get there early. There are lines. It is what it is. Don’t add the stress of almost missing your flight.
Haylie’s Carry-On Essentials for Baby:
- 1 sippy cup (for water)
- 1 bottle
- 2 utensils
- 1 sticky disposable eating mat
- 1 large T-shirt (I will put this, instead of a bib, on her when she eats so she can get messy. It is big enough to flip inside-out when she’s done and roll up around her dirty utensils.)
- Number of diapers depending on length of trip
- Compact changing pad (Airport bathrooms are dirty, so this is a MUST.)
- Travel-size Tylenol
- Travel size Benadryl (you just never know, better safe than sorry)
- 1 change of clothes in case of accidents
- * I put a change of clothes for me in too. This is a good idea especially if your baby is riding on your lap.
- Small blanket
- 2 favorite toys
Get more of Haylie’s travel tips.